Saturday, July 23, 2016

Interview with Jesseca Dawn

 
It's time for yet another interview, this time with Jesseca Wheaton, author of The Silent Blade. I'm proud to be a part of her blog tour! Go to her blog (click) to find out more about her, the blog tour, and The Silent Blade.
 
Now, let's move on to the questions! :D
 
I was excited to be allowed to read The Silent Blade. Where’d you get the idea for the plot? How about the characters? Are they inspired by people you know, other book characters, etc.? Is the main character(s) similar to you? In what ways?
 
Aww, I'm glad you were excited!
 
I know this is going to sound bad, but I literally had no idea of the plot when I sat down to write. My family had just watched the Chronicles of Narnia DVD's for the first time, and I wanted to write something with a Medieval-ish feel. Also, I had just finished a non-magical fantasy series, The Arcrean Conquest series by Nicole Sager, and that combined with Narnia was enough to make me want to write a similar sort of story. But, since I don't write fantasy, I decided to try a historical fiction set in Ireland.
 
Well, there are two main characters and the POV is told equally between them throughout the book. I don't have a lot in common with Eira, but Kevin and I are very similar! We're both the oldest, we both struggle with letting others down and being over protective of our family. I enjoyed writing him. :) 
 
 
 
What is the main character(s) of The Silent Blade like?
 

Eira is quiet, but she's not shy. She'll generally obey what she's told, just trying to avoid trouble. She's a peacemaker. :) Kevin, on the other hand, is independent. He likes making decisions for himself, and he takes responsibility very seriously. He also has a strong sense of justice. 
 
Will there be a sequel to The Silent Blade?
 

At the present there are no plans for one... but you never know! :) 
 
What’s your writing process like? Are you a plotter or a pantser? Where do you prefer to write? Do/can you work on more than one novel at a time?
 
I get an idea, do some research, get a mental outline, and then sit down and write. Most of the time I'll start with the first scene in the book, though there are times an idea will hit me for a particular scene and I'll sit down and write it. But I like writing in order. ;) Umm, I'm more of a plotter. I like to have an idea of where I'm going, what Biblical principal will be woven in through the story (and what verses I'll use), what the characters will go through, etc. Of course, a lot changes as I'm writing, but I like to have at least a small idea of where I'm heading!
 
I can work on more then one story at a time, thought I normally will chose one to sit and work on every day, and the other one will just be my "for fun" book. 

Is there a book that influenced The Silent Blade more than any other? A movie?
 
The Heart of Arcrea for the book, and Prince Caspian for the movie. My family got tired of me re-playing the soundtrack for Prince Caspian over and over again while I was writing. But hey, it was awesome! 
 
Do the main characters of The Silent Blade have theme songs? How about the book?
Umm, not really. Most of the time when I was writing, I would just put on a playlist of Celtic hymns, or the soundtrack for Prince Caspian. Great music for writing inspiration! ^_^
 
Do you prefer to write with a pen or pencil?
A gel pen, whether black or purple ink. Yes, I'm picky. ;) 
 
Do you prefer to write on the computer or on paper?
 
The computer. Because then my writing looks orderly. In a notebook it looks like someone tried to write in a different language. Yeah, my handwriting is messy unless I really work at it. And... when I'm writing a book I never work on it. ;P 
 
Where you do usually write?
Either in our living room at night when most of my siblings have headed to bed, or on my bed with the laptop! 
 
What do you do for fun when you’re not writing?
 
Read! I also like cooking, baking, sewing, playing the piano, swimming at the lake, spending time with friends. All so much fun! :D
 
Do you have a favorite flavor of icecream?
 
Rocky Road or Chocolate!! Hands down! Of course, cappuccino is realllyyy good, too!
 
What’s one fun fact about yourself?
 
I am the oldest in a family of ten! And I frequently have people tell me my "kids" are so sweet. I've learned to nod and smile. It gets wayyy too complicated to try and explain that they're my siblings and there's just a big age difference. ;) 

Is there anything you’d like to say to wrap up?
 
Well, thank you so much for having me!!! Oh, and just 'cause I'm curious ... what is one fun fact about you? ;)
 
Well, that about wraps it up! And in response, one fun fact about me is ... I like cheese! (someone, tell me they get the reference! Please!) ... Not really. How about ... well, when I was little, my sisters were always getting asked "is she yours?" Yep. I look a lot more like my sisters than my parents ...
 
About Jesseca Wheaton
 
 

Jesseca is an 18-year old daughter, sister, and a child of God. Her days are spent reading, cooking, spending time with siblings, or playing piano.  And writing, of course! At an early age words fascinated her, and her love for the printed page has only grown. She lives with her parents and seven siblings in the sunny state of Kansas, and she’s convinced there’s no place like home.
 
You can find out more about Jesseca Wheaton and her works on her blog, Whimsical Writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment